Wednesday 18 March 2020

Scottish Woman and I / സ്കോട്ടിഷ് സ്ത്രീയും ഞാനും


2009

“Are you a catholic?” A Scottish woman asked me. Since the subject of discussion and context was about religion, I was not annoyed by her question. But, I did not want to answer immediately. I smiled. She continued her conversation. “Your name does not sound a Hindu one.”

I was thinking about an appropriate answer for her question. She revealed her religion first. She said “I am a protestant…” Then after a naughty smile, I replied “I do protest…” I laughed, and my laughter multiplied multiple times. She joined my laughter after sensing either futility of the question or as a momentary reflex to the laughter.




ഒരു സ്കോട്ടിഷ്  സ്ത്രീ ചോദിച്ചു  "താങ്ങൾ കാത്തോലിക്ക് ആണോ?"
സംസാരത്തിന്റെ വിഷയവും  സന്ദർഭവും  ശരിയാണെന്നത് കൊണ്ട് എനിക്ക് അത് അരോചകമായി തോന്നിയില്ല. എങ്കിലും  ഞാൻ ഉടനെ  മറുപടി പറഞ്ഞില്ല. വെറുതെ പുഞ്ചിരിച്ചു.
അവർ സംസാരം തുടർന്നു "പേര്  കേട്ടപ്പോൾ ഹിന്ദുവല്ലെന്ന് മനസിലായി." എന്താണ് പറയേണ്ടതെന്ന് ആലോചിചിക്കുമ്പോൾ അവർ പറഞ്ഞു "ഞാൻ പ്രൊട്ടസ്റ്റന്റ് ആണ്."
അപ്പോൾ ഞാനും ഒരു മറുപടി കൊടുത്തു "ഐ ഡു പ്രോട്ടെസ്റ്റ്." ഞാൻ പൊട്ടിച്ചിരിച്ചു. അവരും പൊട്ടിച്ചിരിയിൽ കൂടി ചേർന്നു.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ഗോലി സോഡാ

നാലാം ക്ലാസ്സിൽ പഠിക്കുമ്പോൾ പലരും ഗോലി സോഡാ കഴിക്കുന്നത് കണ്ട് , ഗോലി സോഡാ കഴിക്കണമെന്ന് മോഹം തോന്നി തുടങ്ങിയിരുന്നു. പിന്നെ കാണുന്നത് സെവൻ...